Dental Implants in Canberra: Here’s all you need to know!
Cosmetic dentistry has emerged as a popular form of dental treatment solely aimed at enhancing a person’s smile and the aesthetics of their teeth. Each of us is born with a unique body structure including the teeth and dantal structure. Misalignment, crooked teeth, and overlapped or stained teeth are common problems that impact our appearance and self-confidence to great extents. Anything from minor imperfections to severe structural issues can hamper the overall dantal health resulting in poor oral hygiene, distorted facial features, and unpleasant smile. However, one can simply end these problems by opting for cosmetic dentistry that involves a wide array of advanced treatments such as dentures, dental implants, and composite veneers in Canberra.
Dental Implants: What are they?
In simple words, dental implants are replacements for missing tooth that acts as a more durable and stable alternative to removable dentures. These are small titanium posts inserted into the jawbone and act as an anchor for the artificial tooth in place of the original one. They are more like artificial tooth roots that prevent jaw bone loss. It is a surgical procedure performed by specialized medical professionals using screw-like devices. This artificial tooth root and crown are connected using an abutment device. People who have a missing tooth due to some injury or disease may find it difficult to smile, talk, or even eat. Bite irregularities are common in the case of missing teeth and can significantly impact a person’s health and hygiene. Getting dental implants in Canberra not only improves the aesthetics but also helps in resolving bite problems.
Types of dental implants
Broadly speaking, dantal implants are available in two broad categories that the dentists may suggest based on the patient’s requirements and support needs. The differentiation is largely based on the procedure followed to place them i.e. two-stage or single stage.
- Endosteal Implants (Two-stage) – One of the most popular types of dantal implants, this process involves placing the implants in the jaw bone and stitching the gum tissues following a surgical method. Another surgery is performed after a few months to attach the abutment and temporary restoration.
- Subperiosteal Implants (Single-stage) – This process involves surgically placing a longer implant on the jawbone with top-level gum tissue following which the gum tissues are stitched. Once the stitches heal, abutment and a temporary restoration are attached without the need for any further surgeries. Subperiosteal implants were primarily used to hold dentures in place and are suggested for those having a lesser height to their jawbones.
Advantages of Dental Implants
Just like any cosmetic dental procedure such as composite veneers in Canberra, dental implants’ advantages are abundant. An upgrade to traditional dentures, dental implants offer improved results, both in terms of aesthetics and practicality. People struggling with broken or misaligned teeth can ditch the discomfort and pain associated with dentures or bridges. Dantal implants are safe and ideal for all barring a few exceptional cases. Some of the key advantages of dantal plants in Canberra are discussed as follows:
- Acts like natural teeth – One of the key advantages of dental implants is that it acts like natural teeth that come with full chewing power. Most people fail to recognize the difference between a natural tooth and implanted tooth. They are custom-made and can match the exact shade of your existing teeth structure. One can carry on with their regular brushing and flossing activities without any difficulty.
- Lasts longer – As compared to other alternatives such as dentures and dental bridges, dental implants tend to last longer and continue to serve as a natural tooth. They are made of titanium and are integrated with the jawbone making an ideal tooth replacement. Since dental implants are bio-compatible, they are non-toxic and do not get rejected by the body.
- Maintain dental hygiene – Missing or decayed teeth can often lead to other health problems as food and other particles trapped in them can lead to gum diseases. Dantal implants restore alignment and correct bite problems to great extents. You can continue with your normal oral hygiene without the discomfort caused due to removable dentures or dental bridges.
- Prevent bone loss – Missing teeth can lead to the deterioration of jaw bones due to a lack of stimulation. It is observed that a missing tooth if not replaced within a year from its fall can hamper the bone volume significantly. Dentures often used as tooth alternatives can further add to bone loss as they become loose over time. On the other hand, since dental implants replace the root as well as the tooth, normal stimulation is restored to facilitate natural bone growth.
There You Go!
Dental implants in Canberra ensure a far superior experience than dental bridges and traditional dentures. In most cases, the candidate can resume their daily oral hygiene activities without worrying about any damage or loss of the dental implants. Dental implants are securely anchored into the jaw bone which prevents any slip-out or discomfort. Not just for aesthetic improvements, dental implants are essential for maintaining bone health and taking care of overall dental health.